The Chat activity in Moodle allows instructors to hold a real-time, text-based discussions with their students. Chats are especially useful when the class cannot meet face-to-face. Instructors can hold virtual office hours using Moodle chat. Chat sessions can be logged and archived, and instructors can manage who can view the logs.
To add a Chat activity
- Click Turn on Editing on your Moodle course page.
- Locate the section where you want to add a Chat activity.
- Click Add an activity or resource.
- Select Chat and click Add, and this will display Adding a new chat page.
5. Enter a name in the Name of this chat room field.
6. In the Description box, you can enter a description that let your students know the purpose of the chat. (Check Display description on course page option if you want to make the description visible to your students on the course main page.)
7. Under Chat sessions:
- At Next chat time, select a specific date and time for the chat session. This will appear in the calendar block. If you don’t wish to schedule chat times then ignore this.
- At Repeat/publish session times, select whether and how you want the chat time(s) to display. You can publish repeating session times daily or weekly, or not at all. There are four options for scheduling future chat sessions:
- Don't publish any chat times- there are no set times and students are welcome to chat at any time.
- No repeats - publish the specified time only- only the next chat time will be published. This could be used to schedule special events or meetings.
- At the same time every day- for scheduling daily office hours or work sessions with learners.
- At the same time every week- for scheduling a chat for the same day and time every week.
- Select the period for which you want to Save past sessions.
- Select whether Everyone can view past sessions.
- To allow students to view chat logs, select Yes from the drop-down menu
- To prohibit students from viewing any chat logs, and only allow instructor and TAs have access to the logs,
- Select No from the drop-down menu, and
- Click Permissions under Chat administration in the Administration block.
- Click “X” placed next to Student to remove student from Roles with permission.
8. Under Common module settings:
- Set visibility of the chat activity for students (Hide/Show)
- Assign the chat activity to groups
9. Under Restrict access
You can set restrictions to the chat activity based upon a date, group, activity completion of
another activity/resource in the course.
10. Click Save and return to course button.