When creating a forum, instructors can decide on a forum subscription mode and determine whether you want students to receive email notifications of new postings.
Set Up Forum Subscription mode
- Go to your Moodle course and click Turn Editing On.
- Click Edit and select Edit Settings next to the link to the Forum.
- Click Subscription and tracking to expand the section and select one of the following options from the Subscription mode:
- Optional subscription - Participants can choose whether to be subscribed
- Forced subscription - Everyone is subscribed and cannot unsubscribe
- Auto subscription - Everyone is subscribed initially but can choose to unsubscribe at any time
- Subscription disabled - Subscriptions are not allowed.
- Click Save and return to course.
If the instructor chooses Forced subscription or Subscription disabled there is nothing for a student to do.
With Auto subscription or Optional subscription, students have options to choose whether they want to receive email notifications whenever someone posts a message to the forum.