A Crossword Activity is similar to standard crossword puzzles that you might find in a newspaper, magazine, or online game center.
To play, students enter text answers into the puzzle area based on clues provided.
To prepare for the game, instructors must either write Short Answer questions or create a Glossary with the desired terms.
1. Click the Turn editing on button in the upper right corner of the screen.
2. Click on + Add an activity or resource in the lower right-hand corner of any Module.
3. From the menu that will open, select Game - Crossword.
4. In the Name field, enter the activity name that students will see on the main Moodle page.
5. In the Source of Questions dropdown, select the source of the words and clues for the crossword game. There are three options:
- Questions (must be Short Answer)
- Quiz (must be composed of Short Answer questions)
6. Based upon your choice for the Source of questions, select the pre-existing glossary, question category, or quiz below this choice.
5. In the Maximum number of attempts field, enter how many attempts each student will have. If left blank, students will have unlimited attempts.
6. Click the Grade heading.
- Locate and fill in the Maximum Grade field
- The default maximum grade is 100.
- Enter zero (0) to prevent the crossword from appearing in the gradebook for ungraded practice.
7. Click the Crossword options heading.
- Fill in the maximum number of columns/rows, minimum number of words, and maximum number of words.
- Enter zero (0) to allow the crossword activity to select these settings based upon the number of items in the source material.
- Use the dropdown menu to allow spaces in words if needed (this is functioning properly in Moodle 3.9).
8. When finished, click one of the red Save buttons.