The Essay Question is the only question type that must be manually graded by the instructor.
1. Click on the three horizontal lines beside the word Menu in your Moodle Course
2. In The Administration Block, click Question Bank.
3. Select the desired Category for the new question.
4. Click the Create A New Question button.
5. Select Essay and click the Add button.
6. Enter a Question Name. Students will not see this name.
7. Enter the Question Text. Students will see this text. It should contain the main body of the question that students will answer.
8. Leave the Default Points at 1.
9. Enter any General Feedback that students would receive regardless of getting the question correct or incorrect.
10. Use the options under the Response Format heading, select the parameters for student submissions to this question:
- Response format: choose if students can type in their responses.
- Require text: decide if students must enter text or if it is optional.
- Input box side: choose the size of the text box for student responses; the textbox will re-size if students enter more text.
- Allow attachments: decide if students can upload files as a response to this question.
- Require attachments: if attachments are allowed, they may be required as well.
- Accept file types: if desired, specify the file type accepted (.pdf, .docx, etc.)
11. Use the Response Template to add pre-populated test to the student response text box.
12. In the Grader Information area, enter any information that only graders (Instructors or Teaching Assistants) should see to help increase grading efficiency.
13. When done editing the question, click the Save Changes button. Questions can ALWAYS be updated as needed.