If a Syllabus Grading policy is based upon course points only, the Natural method is effective. An example is a syllabus that states:
2 Assignments at 25 points each = 50 points
3 Tests at 100 points each = 300 points
1 Final Exam = 150 points
Course Total = 500 Points total
The Gradebook Setup can be set up as follows:
What will the Instructor See?
The instructor will see each student's grade and a Course Total out of the total possible points (500 in this example)
How to Set up the Gradebook:
1. Click on the Menu icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to open the slide-out menu.
2. Click Gradebook setup in the Administration block.
3. Locate the top-most folder icon. Click on Edit, then Edit settings.
4. Under Aggregation, select Natural. Then click the Save changes button.
5. Confirm that the total number of points from the syllabus matches the Course Total (500 in this example).
6. If needed, Categories can also be created or manually graded items can be created to fit specific gradebook needs.
7. If the weighting on any grade item needs to be changed, click on the checkbox in the Weights category. The weights of all other items will automatically respond to any changes made to the weighting.
Return to the Setup Gradebook main resource page for more information on other topics.