Zoom has a variety of options for creating closed captioning during a meeting or a transcription to share after the meeting.
1. Go to Settings in your Zoom Dashboard, In-Meeting (Advanced), and find Closed Captioning. By default this feature is enabled. Check the options that will best fit your meeting. Note: Recommend checking Enable live transcription service to show transcript on the side panel in meeting.
2. With both features above checked, you can start a meeting and see the Live Transcript icon in the bottom toolbar. When selected, a dialog box will appear. Note: If Closed Caption appears you did not check the Enable live transcription service in Settings.
3. Assign a participant to type. Opens the participant's panel to hover over a participants name and click More then Assign to type Closed Caption.
4. I will type. Opens the closed-captioning window to manually type closed captions.
5. Copy the API token. Copy the URL and paste to a third party CC service.
6. Enable Auto-Transcription. Most used method to provide live transcription during a meeting. When selected, participants will be notified the service is available. When enabled, a box will appear at the bottom of screen with every spoken word during the meeting. Note: Live transcriptions will not be perfect. Some words can be misinterpreted by Zoom.
7. Transcription options. Select the up-arrow next the Live Transcription to view more options.
- Hide Subtitle
- View Full Transcript: will open a side panel with the full transcript of the meeting. Transcripts can be saved in a text document to your computer.
- Subtitle Settings: Select Subtitle Settings to change the size of the font.
10. Participants will click the Closed Caption icon at the bottom of the screen to enable closed captioning.
Return to Faculty Zoom Resources