Instructors can import student grades directly to the Moodle gradebook using a spreadsheet. This page describes how to format a grading spreadsheet and then import student grades into Moodle.
Prepare a Spreadsheet for Import
1. We suggest you start out with a spreadsheet that has been exported from your Moodle gradebook to ensure that your spreadsheet has all the needed fields. Instructions on exporting the Moodle gradebook to an Excel spreadsheet are available
2. Open the exported spreadsheet and add your grade data.
- If importing grades for an existing grade items, values must fit within the Grade range or Scale established in the activity settings.
- To add new Grade items in the gradebook, add new columns to the spreadsheet and label the column header. Note: Grades added in this manner cannot exceed 100 points.
- Written feedback can be imported in the Feedback associated with a grade item.
Important: ULID must have a capital C
3. Save the spreadsheet as a .csv (Comma delimited) file or .txt (Tab delimited Text) file. This can be done in the Excel.
Note: if your spreadsheet includes values or headers containing comma, quotes, or apostrophes, save it as a Tab delimited text file (.txt).
Import the File to the Moodle Gradebook
1. In your Moodle Course, click on the Menu icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen to open the slide-out menu.
2. Click Gradebook Setup in the Administration block.
3. In the navigation tabs at top, click Import, and then Import CSV file page will open.
Note: Regardless of which file format you decide to use (.csv or.txt) the following steps are the same.
4. In the Import file area, drag and drop a file from your computer or click Choose a file button to upload the file.
For Separator, if uploading .csv file, select Comma, if uploaidng .txt file, change the option to Tab.
5. Click Upload grades button.
6. In the Import preview area, review and verify the upload data.
7. In Identify user by section, set both the Map from and Map to drop-down menus to Username.
8. In the Grade item mappings section, match columns in your spreadsheet to grade items.
- To import a column an existing Grade item, select the Grade item name from the Grade item mapping drop-down menu. Note: This will overwrite existing data in the Moodle gradebook for each student in your spreadsheet.
- To import a new Grade item that was added in the spreadsheet. select New grade item from the Grade item mapping drop-down.
- To skip a column, and not import its data, leave the drop down menu set to Ignore.
- To import written feedback for a grade item, map it to the Feedback for a grade item, not to the Grade item itself.
9. Click Upload grades at the bottom of the screen. If the upload is successful, you will see a Success message.
10. If the upload is successful, you will see a success message. Click Continue to return to the Grader report view of your gradebook.
Return to the Setup Gradebook main resource page for more information on other topics.